Urban Education—ESL Specialization and ESL Teacher Certification, M.A.
This program is designed for students who do not yet hold a standard New Jersey Department of Education teaching certification and would like to pursue ESL teacher certification as a part of the MA program.
Essay of 250-500 words
Transcripts from all previous institutions attended
Two professional references from employers, supervisors, professors, and mentors/counselors
Verification of NJ certification(s)
BA GPA of 3.0 or higher
Passing scores on the ACTFL Language Proficiency tests as mandated by NJDOE
Students are strongly recommended to take the courses in specified phases.
|MCC 600||General Linguistics||3|
|MCC 611||Theories of Language Teaching||2|
|MCC 612||Observation of English as a Second Language||1|
|MCC 627||Historical and Cultural Background of Limited English Proficient Students||3|
|MCC 635||Effective Literacy Teaching for English Language Learners||3|
|MCC 603||Applied Linguistics with Emphasis on Second Language Experience||3|
|MCC 604||Phonology and Structure of American English||3|
|MCC 617||Field Experience in Bilingual/Multicultural Education||3|
|MCC 655||Methods of Teaching ESL||3|
|Required Professional Education Courses|
|MCC 618||Human Relations and Multicultural Education||3|
|MCC 660||Internship In ESL||5|
|MCC 661||Seminar in ESL||1|
|EDU 628||Learning and Motivation||3|
|MCC 626||Survey and Development of English as a Second Language Material||3|
|MCC 650||Research Urban Education in ESL/Bilingual Education||3|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Urban Education-ESL Specialization and ESL Teacher Certification program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of the subject matter they plan to teach.
- Demonstrate their pedagogical knowledge, integrating their understanding of their pupils’ developmental levels, individual differences, learning exceptionalities, and sociocultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrate effective instruction, caring behavior, and reflection to improve practice.
- Know and value how individuals are shaped by their life experiences as mediated by factors such as social class, gender, race, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, and social needs. Our candidates know, value, and engage in culturally responsive teaching to promote social justice, particularly in our urban areas.
- Use appropriate technology in carrying out their professional responsibilities.