Masters of Science in Nursing with a Specialization in School Nursing
The Master of Science in Nursing with a Specialization in School Nursing is one of two tracks in the existing Master of Science in Nursing Program. Curriculum includes a total of 37 credits with 16 credits devoted to core courses and 21 credits in the school nursing specialization. This program integrates content required by the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) for the Standard Non-Instructional School Nurse Certificate and the Standard (Instructional) School Nurse Certificate with graduate-level nursing knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to thrive in schools and community settings. It is designed to build on nursing baccalaureate education, contemporary nursing practice parameters, and disciplinary competencies.
The specialization is approved by the New Jersey Department of Education in meeting requirements for the Standard Non-Instructional School Nurse Certificate (N.J.A.C. 6A:9B -14.4) and the Standard (Instructional) School Nurse Endorsement (N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-14.3). The Master of Science in Nursing Degree is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
|School Nurse Certificate/Specialization Requirements|
|NURS 614||Role of the School Nurse I: Care Coordination||3|
|NURS 616||Role of the School Nurse II: Reducing Barriers to Health & Learning 1||3|
|NURS 600||Science Of Health Promotion||3|
|NURS 642||Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NURS 672||School Nurse Practicum I 2||3|
|Subtotal Credits||Upon successful completion of the above 15 credits students are eligible for the Non-Instructional School Nurse Certificate||15|
|NURS 622||Curriculum Design, Development & Evaluation in School Health Education||3|
|NURS 673||School Nurse Practicum II 3||3|
|Subtotal Credits||Upon successful completion of the above 21 credits students are eligible for the Standard (Instructional) School Nurse Certificate||21|
|Master of Science in Nursing with a Specialization in School Nursing Degree Requirements|
|NURS 601||Theory Development in Advanced Practice Nursing Science||3|
|NURS 609||Healthcare Delivery Systems and Social Policy||3|
|NURS 610||Research Methodology||3|
|NURS 630||Advanced Pathopharmacology||4|
|NURS 679||Capstone: Program Evaluation||3|
|Total||Upon successful completion of all 37 credits students are eligible for the Master of Science with a Major in Nursing Degree||37|
Prerequisite for NURS 616 is NURS 614
Prerequisites for NURS 672 are NURS 614, NURS 616, NURS 600, and NURS 642
Prerequisites for NURS 673 are NURS 614, NURS 616, NURS 672, and NURS 622
Students who complete the Master of Science in Nursing with a Specialization in School Nursing at NJCU will be able to:
- Engage in the processes of scholarship, critical thinking, communication and research for practice and advanced study.
- Employ information systems technology and inter-professional collaboration to manage and transform clinical and educational practice.
- Evaluate socioeconomic and health care policy issues and trends that affect advanced practice and nursing education.
- Provide leadership to promote effective change in health care delivery systems and nursing education through integration of advanced nursing knowledge, theories and principles for effective outcomes.
- Design population-centered and culturally responsive strategies in the delivery of clinical and educational practice.
- Assimilate the role of the school nurse in schools and communities with diverse populations.
- Demonstrate competencies in using evidence-based practice to design, implement, and evaluate nursing services and health education curricula in schools and communities.