Health Sciences with Teacher Certification in Health Education, B.S.
Completion of this major prepares one to assume the responsibilities of a health education teacher who is certified to teach health in grades K–12 in of New Jersey. Continued study may include a master’s degree in education, health education, health science, and public health.
THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO THIS CONCENTRATION ARE:
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (CGPA) of 3.0.
- A minimum of B- or better on all education courses
Passing scores on the Praxis CORE, or 560 verbal, 540 Math on the SAT, or 23 or higher on the ACT, or 155 verbal, 156 quantitative on the GRE.
Passing scores on the Praxis CORE Academic Skills for Educators Tests, as of 9/1/19:
- Math Test #5733 Passing Score 150
- Reading Test #5712 Passing Score 156
- Writing Test #5722 Passing Score 162
Students who meet the score levels below are not required to take the Praxis CORE:
- If taken before 4/1/1995: Math 520, Reading 480
- If taken between 4/1/1995 to 2/28/2016: Math 540, Reading 560
- If taken on or after 3/1/2016: Math 570, 610 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing or 30 Reading Section
- If taken before 8/28/1989: Math 23, English 20
- If taken on or after 8/28/1989: Math 23, English 23
- If taken before 8/1/2011: Quantitative 720, Verbal 530
- If taken on or after 8/1/2011: Quantitative 156, Verbal 155
For more information on Praxis exams: https://www.ets.org/praxis/nj/requirements
THE REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION OF THIS DEGREE TRACK ARE:
- Completion of NJCU General Education requirements or equivalent
- Successful completion of major in intended content area
- Passing scores on appropriate Praxis II Exam
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Successful completion of clinical experience and clinical practice (student teaching)
This includes successful submission of the performance assessment, edTPA, as required by the New Jersey Department of Education.
Note: For the most updated information on this teaching certification program, students are directed to contact the College of Education as changes may have occurred since publication.
All Teacher of Health students must achieve and maintain a 3.0 GPA in all major courses. Students unable to maintain this criteria will be dismissed from the major.
Transfer students must complete at least 12 credits at NJCU before declaring a major.
|Required Courses (39 SH)|
|HLTH 205||Public Health Aspects of Nutrition||3|
|HLTH 206||Substance Abuse||3|
|HLTH 210||Introduction to Public Health||3|
|HLTH 211||Consumer Health||3|
|HLTH 301||Health Counseling||3|
|HLTH 302||Mental Health||3|
|HLTH 303||Environmental Health||3|
|HLTH 305||Safety Education & First Aid||3|
|HLTH 415||Family Living & Sex Education||3|
|HLTH 434||School & Community Health||3|
|HLTH 505||Contemporary Methods, Materials and Evaluation in Driver Education||3|
|SPEC 250||Psychological & Educational Needs of the Exceptional Child||3|
|PROFESSIONAL SEQUENCE (29SH)|
|LTED 230||Focus: Reading Language & Literacy||3|
|EDU 280||Challenges in Urban Education||3|
|EDU 330||Focus: Development, Behavior and Learning||3|
|EDU 331||Clinical Practice I||2|
|HLTH 418||Methods and Curriculum in Health Education||3|
|NOTE: All the above courses listed in the Professional Education sequence must be taken prior to the internship sequences listed below.|
|EDU 485||Classroom Management and Assessment Internship Seminar||2|
|HLTH 411||Health Education/Internship||8|
|NOTE: Students planning to take EDU 331 & HLTH 411 must apply one full semester in advance through the Health Science Department.|
|PSYC 150||Developmental: Birth Through Adolescence||3|
|or PSYC 152||Development Adolescence to Adulthood|
|WGST 110||Diversity and Difference: Identities, Communities, and Cultures||3|