Dual Certification Program in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education and Teacher of Bilingual Education Endorsement, B.A.
The coursework for this program must be completed in addition to degree requirements for certification in elementary or secondary education. Candidates seeking bilingual/bicultural education endorsement must be tested in oral and written English language proficiency and in oral/written second language proficiency.
These courses are organized into two phases. It is recommended that courses in Phase I be taken before courses in Phase II.
|Phase I Courses|
|MCC 427||Historical and Cultural Background of Limited English Proficient Students||3|
|MCC 400||General Linguistics & Multicultural Education||3|
|MCC 411||Theory of Language Teaching||2|
|MCC 412||Observation of English as a Second Language||1|
|LTED XXX||Literacy Education Elective (Consult with department chair or advisor.)||3|
|Phase II Courses|
|MCC 455||Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language||3|
|MCC 403||Applied Linguistics||3|
|MCC 404||Phonology & Structure of American English||3|
|MCC 417||Field Experience in Bilingual/Multicultural Education 1||3|
Prerequisite: MCC 455
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Multicultural program, students will be able to:
- Our candidates demonstrate mastery of the subject matter they plan to teach.
- Our candidates demonstrate their pedagogical knowledge, integrating their understanding of their pupils’ developmental levels, individual differences, learning exceptionalities, and sociocultural backgrounds.
- Our candidates demonstrate effective instruction, caring behavior, and reflection to improve practice.
- Our candidates know and value how individuals are shaped by their life experiences as mediated by factors such as social class, gender, race, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, and social needs. Our candidates know, value, and engage in culturally responsive teaching to promote social justice, particularly in our urban areas.
- Our candidates are able to use appropriate technology in carrying out their professional responsibilities.